Saturday, March 20, 2010

Transition from 2 naps to 1

Lindsey has a question about her daughter's nap routine...

"Noelle is transitioning in to only needing one nap a day but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I love when she takes an early afternoon nap (between 11am and 12noon) but sometimes she'll stay in her bed for a half hour or more just talking to herself. She'll take a pretty good nap but then wake up and eat a very late lunch and then gets tired around 5 or 6 but by then it's too late to give her a second nap. I just want to know how to TRANSITION so I don't have an ornery girl half of the day."


4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I think you just have to expect that you're going to have an ornery kid for a couple of weeks until she gets used to one nap. When I transitioned my little girl to one nap, a lot of people told me that some days she would be so tired that she would take two naps during those couple of weeks she was transitioning. Ashlyn always refused to take two naps no matter how tired she was, but maybe your kid won't.

    Good luck! It's not a fun thing for a mom, but it won't take too long for her to get used to one nap. And the nice thing about just one nap is that you don't have to plan your day around the naps as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say a schedule around the nap is the most helpful thing. When my son was transitioning to one he was still tired early,around 11, so we did our naptime routine, cleaned up, etc, and then once he woke up (around 1), we had lunch. Later on, he transitioned again, and now he has lunch and Then has his nap starting at one. It's a learning process! Just pay attention for a few days to their sleep signals, then plan their naps accordingly. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey I wish I could give you advice but Hallie is the worst nap taker. She switched to one nap and sometimes it's only 30 min. It drives me crazy because even if she gets a good nap she still ends up cranky. Oh well, I guess it's just part of life.

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you push off the nap until after lunch then she can sleep from like 1-4 and then she won't e grumpy in the evening because bedtime will only be a few hours away anyway. my 2 year old naps anywhere from 1-3 or 2-4,a few hours in late afternoon and it works great.

    ReplyDelete

Moms with Advice